Home Forums Kamanja Forums Features & Releases kamanja 1.1 quick start section needs clearer instructions to proceed to samples

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Archived_User64 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

Archived_User36
    Participant

I am continuing with installation process and i don’t see any instructions in the documentation to start kafka before running samples. There is an instruction emitted during installation process that states the following. If I hadn’t noticed carefully, I wouldn’t have known how to proceed after installation. Quick start guide should have high level steps that lead to running tutorials without any gaps. I also don’t see any instructions to start ZK in certain way (for example, if ZK is running on different port on CDH, Kamanja may not able to connect without giving some arguments/configuration).

To start Kafka, ensure that ZooKeeper is running and then execute:
    kafka-server-start.sh /home/krishna/.linuxbrew/etc/kafka/server.properties

The document should specify that user needs to start new terminal to make sure new paths are set correctly (if I switch to existing terminal windows, typing kamanja doesn’t work).

Once I created new terminal, running command kamnja create queues asks to set KAFKA_HOME. Since I didn’t install Kafka prior to that, I wouldn’t know where it is and it is not in the path. I think these steps need to be clearly documented for new users to to go through tutorial smoothly without jumping to figure out how to proceed to next.

More to come once I find how to proceed to next step 🙂

Thanks

• #13357 Reply

Archived_User64
    Participant

Hi,
    If you go to:

http://kamanja.org/qs/homebrew/kamanja-installation-instructions/kamanja-with-all/start-zookeeper/

it shows you how to start ZK. Then if you click the Next button on the bottom, you will get another page showing you how to start Kafka.

At the top of the ZK page, there is a navigation tool. If you go back one link, you see:

http://kamanja.org/qs/homebrew/kamanja-installation-instructions/kamanja-with-all/

Does this help?

thanks

• #13358 Reply

Archived_User36
      Participant

Once I go back and read instructions carefully, i can find this information. It is too much effort to find what to do next – I suggest arrange the information so that, it can expand/fold inline to avoid too many jumps. Also having steps together and colored to figured out what to do next instead of intermixing with the tool output would help go smoothly. In addition, setup program should create those variables (e.g., KAFKA_HOME) when user selects the recommended option or at minimum the documentation should mention to set them as next step or at beginning of running samples( and link to where to find information to set them). If there is no kamanja command already, we should have a command to validate installed environment (missing environment variables and other components need to start) and ask user to run it as part of tutorial.

I will set those variables and then follow rest of tutorial to see how far I go smoothly.

thanks

• #13359 Reply

Archived_User64
        Participant

Hi,
        I made a few changes. Would you please take a look?

http://kamanja.org/qs/

Is this clearer?

thanks

• #13360 Reply

Archived_User36
          Participant

It looks good from steps to follow, but links are not working for any of those steps. Once links work, I can follow and give feedback.

Thanks

• #13361 Reply

Archived_User64
          Participant

You have to click the Next button after all the steps at the bottom of the page to get started.

• #13362 Reply

Archived_User64
          Participant

Ok I removed the Table of Contents – now is it clearer?

• #13363 Reply

Archived_User7
    Participant

Could you let us know, here, if you feel it is OK now?
    Thanks

• #13364 Reply

Archived_User36
      Participant

OK, i restarted the process on snapshot that I took before first installation and these are the notes from that process:
      1. after installation of brew and updating .bashrc; need to run source ~/.bashrc or open new terminal window
      2. after this step, errors about gcc – to find issue, i have to go back two pages and look for error messages link(how would i know to go back?); need link or inline expanded text in each section of installation step so user knows what do instead of figuring that they need to go back magically two pages to look for error messages link-

[krishna@quickstart ~]$ brew install kamanja –with-all
        ==> Installing kamanja from ligadata-kamanja/homebrew-tap
        ==> Tapping homebrew/dupes
        Cloning into ‘/home/krishna/.linuxbrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-dupes’…
        remote: Counting objects: 41, done.
        remote: Compressing objects: 100% (41/41), done.
        remote: Total 41 (delta 0), reused 2 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
        Unpacking objects: 100% (41/41), done.
        Checking connectivity… done.
        Tapped 0 formulae (101 files, 636K)
        ==> Installing dependencies for ligadata-kamanja/tap/kamanja: homebrew/dupes/unzip, gradle, zookeeper, kafka
        ==> Installing ligadata-kamanja/tap/kamanja dependency: homebrew/dupes/unzip
        Error: homebrew/dupes/unzip cannot be built with any available compilers.
        To install this formula, you may need to:
        brew install gcc

3. try to follow steps outline from error messages link and errors- it looks like the command need — instead of –
      could be formating issue in the document (word coverts — to single character)

[krishna@quickstart ~]$ ln -s $(which gcc) $(brew –prefix)/bin/gcc-$(gcc -dumpversion |cut -d. -f1,2)
        Error: Unknown command: –prefix
        ln: creating symbolic link /bin/gcc-4.4′: Permission denied
        [krishna@quickstart ~]$ ln -s $(which g++) $(brew –prefix)/bin/g++-$(g++ -dumpversion |cut -d. -f1,2)
        ln: creating symbolic link
        /bin/g++-4.4′: Permission denied
        [krishna@quickstart ~]$ sudo ln -s $(which gcc) $(brew –prefix)/bin/gcc-$(gcc -dumpversion |cut -d. -f1,2)
        [krishna@quickstart ~]$ sudo ln -s $(which gcc) $(brew –prefix)/bin/gcc-$(gcc -dumpversion |cut -d. -f1,3)
        [krishna@quickstart ~]$

4. Fixed with the following commands (sent as part of first thread); probably could have worked with the documented commands with — infront of prefix.

ln -s which gcc ~/.linuxbrew/bin/gcc-gcc -dumpversion |cut -d. -f1,3
        ln -s which g++ ~/.linuxbrew/bin/g++-g++ -dumpversion |cut -d. -f1,3

5. Now it went through

• #13365 Reply

Archived_User64
        Participant

Hi,
        Per your corrections:

1. I have “source .bash_profile.” all throughout the Quick Start guide. Should I be running “source ~/.bashrc ” instead?

2. I added a link to the Error Messages page on every step of the installation.

3&4. I replaced “–” with

with -- in the following commands

ln -s $(which gcc) $(brew --prefix)/bin/gcc-$(gcc -dumpversion |cut -d. -f1,2)
        ln -s $(which g++) $(brew --prefix)/bin/g++-$(g++ -dumpversion |cut -d. -f1,2)

thanks

• #13366 Reply

Archived_User36
          Participant

I use .bashrc to make any path changes as it gets invoked for each new terminal window. The difference between .bash_profile and .bashrc could be found in the following link: http://www.joshstaiger.org/archives/2005/07/bash_profile_vs.html. I suggest use .bashrc consistently as these paths required to set in each new terminal that user opens to invoke any installation steps.

Thanks

• #13367 Reply

Archived_User64
          Participant

Hi,
          I have replaced all occurrences of .bash_profile to .bashrc.
          thanks

• #13368 Reply

Archived_User36
          Participant

Not sure if cut -d. -f1,2 or cut -d. -f1,3 is needed. I used –f1,3 to get full version and seems to work fine. If someone already tested that with -f1,2, it is fine.

• #13369 Reply

Archived_User64
          Participant

I just changed it to f1,3 to be safe

• #13370 Reply

Archived_User64
          Participant

So to improve navigation, I labeled each step in the installation process as Step N: <some action>. Hopefully, this will help.

Reply To: kamanja 1.1 quick start section needs clearer instructions to proceed to samples
Your information: